So here we are…my 13th year riding and fundraising for cancer research. I’m now 12 years removed from diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy and being cured of Stage 4 Testicular Cancer (October 11, 2005 to March, 2007). 13 years of life that I would not have had if it were not for cancer research and the good people of the BC cancer community.
I started this blog back in July, 2008 to chronicle a celebratory trip to follow the Tour De France (CSC and Carlos Sastre’s year) and then to track my training toward the first Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2009. Across that time I’ve raised just over $94,000 personally and the teams I’ve captained have raised over $560,000. After taking a year off from captaining I’ve now thrown my helmet back into the ring to co-captain Team CCI.
My goals for 2019 are:
- Raise $5,000 for the Alberta Cancer Foundation
- Co-Captain Team CCI and complete the 2019 Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Finally lose the 20lbs I committed to in 2008 (Target 195lbs)
- Chronicle training and weight loss up until the Ride in a daily blog
Day 1 of the commitment was yesterday so I’ll catch us up:
Day 1, April 30
- Morning weight and body fat: 214.5/26
- Measured with a TANITA scale
- Ketone level: none
- Dietary Calories: 1757
- Calories burned from exercise: 471
- Activity: 1 hr weight circuit
- Put together a great full body circuit that I am sure to repeat.
- Mood: Great, productive, happy
- Stiffness and pain on waking: 2
A friend of mine and I have been in an accountability pair for the past few years…regularly sending each other our weights as we work toward keeping fit as we get older.
Having this as a practice has shown me the ups and downs.
To demonstrate this, here’s what my report was this morning. Exactly 973 days after having started at a weight of 215, I’ve lost exactly 1/2lb net:
Day 973: 214.5 (-.5lbs) 100 day wt 208.5. 200 day wt (the low) 201.5. 300 day wt 208. 400 day wt 211.5. 500 day wt 217. 600 day wt 212.5. 700 day wt 215 (back to the beginning). 800 day wt 209. 900 day wt 211. 1000 day goal 205. Aug 17 (Ride to Conquer Cancer) goal 195. May Week 1 goal 212. Wk 2 Goal 210. Wk 3 Goal 207. Wk 4 goal 205. Wk 5 goal 203.
My hope is that this blog will be an extra impetus to stay with the program.